If you are a qualified U.S. military Veteran, who was honorably discharged or received a general discharge under honorable circumstances, and you have a NYS driver's license, learner permit or non-driver photo ID card, you can have the word "Veteran" printed on the upper left hand of your photo document.
You must provide proof of an honorable discharge or a general discharge under honorable circumstances.
You may apply by mail or at a DMV office by showing your proof(s). Originals or photocopies are acceptable at an office, but send only photocopies by mail. Acceptable proofs are:
- A U.S. Department of Defense Form DD-214 that indicates an honorable discharge or a general discharge under honorable circumstances, or
- A form DD-215 that indicates an honorable discharge or a general discharge under honorable circumstances, or
- If discharged before January 1, 1950, an Honorable Discharge form WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD or NAVCG 553, or an "Enlisted Separation Paper."
For complete details, including eligibility information and application instructions, please visit the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.
If you need assistance, or just want to learn more about the benefits and services you may be eligible for, schedule an appointment with one of our Veterans Benefits Advisors, all Veterans themselves.
- Call 1-888-838-7697 to speak to an advisor.
- Schedule a phone or video consultation online.
- Use our search to find a Services Office near you.