Vet Centers are community-based facilities that offer a variety of free services to Veterans and their families. These services include individual and group counseling, family counseling, bereavement counseling, military sexual trauma counseling, outreach and education, substance abuse assessment, employment services, assistance with health benefits, and screening and referral for medical issues.
Any Veterans and active duty Service members, including members of the National Guard and Reserve components, are eligible if any of the following applies:
- Have served on active military duty in any combat theater or area of hostility∗ (see footnote)
- Experienced military sexual trauma (regardless of gender or service era)
- Provided mortuary services or direct emergent medical care to treat the casualties of war while serving on active military duty
- Performed as a member of an unmanned aerial vehicle crew that provided direct support to operations in a combat theater or area of hostility
- Accessed care at a Vet Center prior to Jan. 2, 2013, as a Vietnam-Era Veteran
- Served on active military duty in response to a national emergency or major disaster declared by the president, or under orders of the governor or chief executive of a state in response to a disaster or civil disorder in that state
- Are a current or former member of the Coast Guard who participated in a drug interdiction operation, regardless of the location
- Are a current member of the Reserve Components assigned to a military command in a drilling status, including active Reserves, who has a behavioral health condition or psychological trauma related to military service that adversely affects the quality of life or adjustment to civilian life.
Vet Center services are also provided to family members of Veterans and Service members for military-related issues when they aid in the readjustment of those who have served. This includes bereavement counseling for families who experience an active duty death.
For eligibility and to learn more, visit the Vet Centers and locations website.