Some disabling conditions incurred in military service are so severe that traditional disability compensation rates are not adequate. In recognition of this fact, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers a higher rate of tax-free monthly payments for these Veterans through the Special Monthly Compensation program.
If you have received a 100% disability compensation rating from the VA, a higher rate of payment is available to you if you are:
- Housebound, OR
- Bedridden, OR
- Requiring someone to assist you with any activities of daily living (bathing, toileting, cooking, dressing, moving from place to place, medication management, etc.)
Special Monthly Compensation of varying dollar amounts is also available for Veterans who have sustained any of the following service-connected disabling conditions:
- Loss, or loss of use, of a hand or a foot
- Immobility of a joint
- Loss, or loss of use, of a reproductive organ
- Deafness of both ears (no air and bone conduction)
- Loss of sight in an eye (5/200 vision or worse, or a field of vision of 5 degrees or worse)
- Loss of a percentage of tissue from a single breast, or both breasts, from mastectomy or radiation treatment
- Complete loss, or loss of use, of both buttocks
- Inability to communicate by speech
Form more information about Special Monthly Compensation visit the United States Veteran Affairs Website.
If you need assistance, or just want to learn more about the benefits and services you may be eligible for, schedule an appointment with one of our Veterans Benefits Advisors, all Veterans themselves.
- Call 1-888-838-7697 to speak to an advisor.
- Schedule a phone or video consultation online.
- Use our search to find a Services Office near you.