New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs

"I am a "

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) administers a variety of education benefit programs. Many Veterans and active duty personnel can qualify for more than one education benefits program, including:

The New York State Thruway Authority offers free, unlimited travel anywhere on the Thruway to certain, qualifying disabled Veterans. The Thruway Authority’s only qualifying criteria for the Disabled Veterans E-ZPass Non-Revenue program is a fee-exempt vehicle registration from Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Military Service Deferment

There are three different property tax exemptions available to Veterans who have served in the United States Armed Forces. The exemption applies to county, city, town, and village taxes.  Exemptions may apply to school district taxes. 

Veterans can receive one of the three following exemptions: 

New York State Localities are permitted, at their discretion, to extend the payment period for any tax owed on real property.

Through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Veterans who served in a theater of combat operations after November 11, 1998, are eligible for an extended period of eligibility for healthcare for 5 years post discharge.

eBenefits is a joint U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Department of Defense (DoD) web portal that provides resources and self-service capabilities to Veterans, service members, and their families to research, access and manage their VA and military benefits and personal information.

The DD Form1300 (Report of Casualty) is an important service record to show proof of death to government and commercial agencies that pay benefits to survivors of eligible service members.

Is a tax free monetary benefit, administered through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), paid to Veterans with disabilities that are the result of a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during active military service.


Schedule an Appointment with a Veterans Benefits Advisor



Contact a Veterans Benefits Advisor

Find a Veterans Benefits Advisor Near You!

Subscribe to New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs RSS