The Gold Star Parent Annuity Benefit authorizes an annuity payment to each Gold Star parent of a deceased Servicemember. There will be an annual increase at a rate equal to the percentage increase of benefits set by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Applicants approved for the Gold Star Annuity Payment are required to verify eligibility on a yearly basis.
To be eligible, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicant must be a Gold Star Parent (as defined in 10 U.S.C. 1126): Please Note: Federal Law defines a Gold Star Parent as the Parent of:
- A Servicemember who lost his or her life during World War I, World War II, or during any subsequent period of armed hostilities in which the United States was engaged before July 1, 1958; OR
- A Servicemember who lost his or her life after July 1, 1958 in any of the following circumstances:
- while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States; or
- while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or
- while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in armed conflict in which the United States is not a belligerent party against an opposing armed force; OR
- A Servicemember who lost his or her life after March 28, 1973, in any of the following circumstances:
- an international terrorist attack against the United States or a foreign nation friendly to the United States, recognized as such an attack by the Secretary of Defense; or
- military operations while serving outside the United States (including the commonwealths, territories, and possessions of the United States) as part of a peacekeeping force.
- The term 'Gold Star Parent' for this Annuity includes any biological parent, step-parent, and parent by adoption who was serving in the role of a parent to the Servicemember at the time of the Servicemember's death.
- Applicant must be a New York State resident and domiciliary
Applications may be submitted at anytime. Payments will be authorized and disbursed in semi-annual installments (March and September). The following documentation is required to process a Gold Star Parent Annuity Benefit:
1. Gold Star Parent Annuity Benefit Application form.
2. Evidence of military service of the deceased Veteran. Acceptable evidence includes a DD Form 1300 (Report of Casualty); or a copy of the telegram from the U.S. Department of Defense advising the parent of his or her loss.
3. A proof of New York State residency. Acceptable evidence includes a copy of the applicant’s property tax bill or utility bill, voter registration documentation, pay stub or current NYS Driver's License.
Mail the completed application and supporting documentation to:
New York State Division of Veterans’ Services
Attn: Gold Star Annuity Program
2 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12223-1551
If you need assistance, or just want to learn more about the benefits and services you may be eligible for, schedule an appointment with one of our Veterans Benefits Advisors, all Veterans themselves.
- Call 1-888-838-7697 to speak to an advisor.
- Schedule a phone or video consultation online.
- Use our search to find a Services Office near you.