New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs

"I am a "

Operation Recognition

Certain Veterans who left high school without graduating are eligible to earn New York State high school diplomas. Operation Recognition, created by Section 305 of New York’s Education Law, recognizes the devotion and sacrifice of World War II, Korean War, and Vietnam Era Veterans who left school early by presenting them with a high school diploma.

To be eligible, a Veteran must meet the following requirements:

  1. Be a New York State resident.
  2. Engaged in active duty service for at least one day during one of the following wartime periods:
    1. World War II: December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946
    2. Korea: June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955
    3. Vietnam: May 1, 1961 - April 30, 1975
  3. Received a satisfactory discharge from military service.

Deceased Veterans can receive a diploma. The child or spouse of a deceased Veteran who met the criteria listed above may apply and accept a posthumous diploma on the Veteran’s behalf.

Qualifying Veterans or their family members must present evidence of the Veteran’s military service, including dates of service and discharge status. Acceptable verifying documents include a DD Form 214 (the Department of Defense discharge form), a WD AGO Form 53-55 form (Enlisted Record and Report of Separation), an Honorable Discharge Certificate, or a Special Discharge form from the Coast Guard or Merchant Marines.    

Veterans and family members can obtain Operation Recognition information by contacting the New York State Department of Education at (518) 474-8940.

Additional Assistance:

If you would like to learn more about the benefits and services you may be eligible for as a Veteran, servicemember, or as a family member of a Veteran or servicemember, please call the New York State Division of Veterans’ Affairs Help Line at 1.888.838.7697 (VETSNYS), where you may also schedule an appointment with one of our Veterans Benefits Advisors.

Schedule an Appointment with a Veterans Benefits Advisor



Contact a Veterans Benefits Advisor

Find a Veterans Benefits Advisor Near You!