New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs

"I am a "

Military Service Claim for Unemployment Benefits

If you were recently discharged from military service, you may be able to establish a claim for unemployment benefits. Applicants must meet the following conditions:

1. You completed the first full term of enlistment, except where discharge or early release was for:

  • Government convenience under an early release program
  • Medical disqualification, pregnancy, parenthood, or any service-incurred injury or disability
  • Hardship
  • Personality disorder or inaptitude (but only with a year of continuous service)


2. As a reservist, you must have had at least 180 days of continuous active duty;


3. You received your discharge under honorable conditions. If you were an officer, you did not resign for the good of the service.

The New York State Department of Labor (DOL) will base your weekly benefit rate on your high quarter earnings in your base period. DOL will base your earnings in military service on a Federal schedule that takes into account the base pay in your last grade, plus allowances for food and clothing.

Please have your most recent separation (DD form 214, Member 4) with you when you file your claim. Mail a copy of this form to the Telephone Claim Center to process your claim, full contact information can be found at: NYS DOL Website:

Note: The Wage Reporting Systems does not show wages earned with the Federal Government, a branch of military service, or on work done outside of New York State. Thus, the initial Monetary Determination may not list them. Follow the instructions on the Monetary Determination for missing employment and earnings, so we can use those wages to calculate your correct benefit rate.

For additional information about Veteran Services offered through DOL, please visit their website at:

Schedule an Appointment with a Veterans Benefits Advisor



Contact a Veterans Benefits Advisor

Find a Veterans Benefits Advisor Near You!