New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs

"I am a "

Getting Your Veteran Status on Your License

If you are a qualified U.S. military veteran, who was honorably discharged, and you have a NYS driver license, learner permit or non-driver photo ID card, you can have the word "Veteran" printed on the upper left hand of your photo document.

To apply for the veteran status designation:

You must send or provide proof of an honorable discharge. You may apply by mail or at a DMV office by showing your proof(s). Originals or photocopies are acceptable at an office, but send only photocopies by mail. Acceptable proofs are:

- A U.S. Department of Defense Form DD-214 that indicates an honorable discharge, or

- A form DD-215 that indicates an honorable discharge, or

- If discharged before January 1,1950, an Honorable Discharge form WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD or NAVCG 553, or an "Enlisted Separation Paper."

For complete details, including eligibility information and application instructions, please visit the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles at:

Additional Assistance:

If you would like to learn more about the benefits and services you may be eligible for as a Veteran, servicemember, or as a family member of a Veteran or servicemember, please call the New York State Division of Veterans’ Affairs Help Line at 1.888.838.7697 (VETSNYS), where you may also schedule an appointment with one of our Veterans Benefits Advisors.

Schedule an Appointment with a Veterans Benefits Advisor



Contact a Veterans Benefits Advisor

Find a Veterans Benefits Advisor Near You!