New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs

"I am a "

Discharge Upgrade Possibility for Veterans

If you feel that you wrongfully received a less-than-honorable discharge from the military, the New York State Division of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) may be able to help.

DVA’s Veterans Benefits Advisors can prepare and file discharge upgrade applications free of charge to the Discharge Review Board or the Board for Corrections of Military Records for each branch of the military.

Additionally, New York is the first state in the nation to offer Veterans free access to a Discharge Upgrade Advisory Board.

Comprised of seven attorneys, this Advisory Board can provide a non-binding advisory opinion to Veterans with discharge upgrade appeals that a majority of the Board’s members deem to be meritorious.

This advisory opinion can be strong evidence for the Veteran to include in his or her appeal to the Discharge Review Board or the Board for Corrections.   

Veterans wishing to submit a package of evidence for the Discharge Upgrade Advisory Board to review should mail all relevant documents to: New York State Discharge Upgrade Advisory Board, New York State Division of Veterans’ Affairs, 2 Empire State Plaza, Floor 17, Albany, N.Y. 12223. Veterans may also mail a CD containing electronic copies of their evidence to the same address. 

For a list of useful documents to include in an appeal packet for a discharge upgrade, please click below:

Schedule an Appointment with a Veterans Benefits Advisor



Contact a Veterans Benefits Advisor

Find a Veterans Benefits Advisor Near You!