|Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get my DD214?
To view a PDF with directions on how to obtain a DD214 click HERE
|I’m a veteran and want to open a business. What programs does the Federal Government have for me?
||The Department of Veterans Affairs, through its Center for Veterans Enterprise (CVE), has established specific programs to help veterans open a business. Their website - www.vetbiz.gov - lists several organizations set up to help those who want to start a business. If interested, call the CVE toll free at 1-866-584-2344 to find the nearest one to you. Most areas will have a local Small Business Development Center (SBDC). There is a wealth of information at the SBDC that includes personal counseling on writing a business plan and a list of preferred lenders. They are typically hosted at colleges or universities an offer no- or low-cost classes and other services.
Although there are fewer available, Veterans Business Outreach Centers (VBOCs) do much the same work as the SBDCs, but are geared specifically to disabled veterans. These are non-profit organizations that receive Federal grants.
You may also have a Veterans Business Development Officer in your local area. This is an employee of the Small Business Administration. Call the CVE to find the nearest one.
|Who is eligible for the Gold Star Parent Annuity?
To be eligible, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- The applicant must be a Gold Star Parent (as defined in 10 USC 1126)
- The applicant must be a resident of New York State
- The applicant must verify that their income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level. This verification is based upon the submittal of a copy of their latest calendar year Federal Tax return, or an affirmation that certifies that they are not required to file a federal income tax return
|What documentation is required to document evidence of military service of the deceased?
||DD Form 1300 (Report of Casualty) or a copy of the telegram from the Department of Defense advising the parent of his or her loss, shall be submitted with the application.
|How do I apply for the Gold Star Parent’s Annuity? What forms do I complete?
In order to be approved for the Gold Star Parent Annuity, complete and submit the following:
- Application Form
- Evidence of Military Service of the Deceased Veteran
- Copy of the previous year’s Federal Tax Return, or a fully executed affirmation, which certifies that the applicant was not required to file a Federal Tax Return
- Direct Deposit Form
- Proof of NYS Residency (Submit a copy of one of the following):
-NYS Driver’s License
-IT201 or W-2 Income Tax form
-Current NYS Vehicle Registration
-Current Voter Registration Card
-Current pay stub
-Letter from current employer on letterhead with your legal address
-Current Utility Bill
|How can I get my VA Disability Compensation percentage increased?
||This will depend on the specifics of each case. The first step should be an interview with a State Veterans Counselor. The Counselor can show you the rating criteria for your existing percentage, and the rating criteria for any higher possible ratings - using VA's "Schedule for Rating Disabilities," found at 38 CFR, Part 4. The Counselor will also advise you that VA can actually reduce your percentage, if the exam indicates your condition has improved.